Return of Library Materials
Graduating students should return borrowed library materials before Commencement. Failure to resolve outstanding issues, fines, or fees owed may result in diplomas being withheld.
Please direct disputres to the billing library. You may check your library account online or contact Sterling Memorial Library Information Services Desk at 203-432-1775.
Graduating students are eligible for free borrowing privileges through the summer and may later continue those privliges at the alumni rate. Visit the Alumni Borrowing Guide for more information or contact the SML Information Desk.
Cap & Gown General Information
The Cap & Gown Agency provides academic apparel for those who plan to participate in Commencement exercises. Custom Yale regalia is available by special order. Keepsake caps and gowns are made of 100% post-consumer recycled plastic bottles. “Greenweaver” technology, which debuted more than five years ago, was developed by Oak Hall Industries of Salem, Virginia. Caps, gowns, and hoods will be yours to keep and need not be returned at the end of the day. For more information please see the regalia page.
Payment of Bills
Students with unpaid charges will not receive diplomas until charges are paid. All amounts due which appear on April bills from the Office of Student Financial Services must be paid in full by May 1 before diplomas are released.
During the spring term, all degree candidates with outstanding loans will be asked by email to complete an online exit interview. This interview is required before diplomas are released.
Contact Student Financial Services at 203-432-2700.
To accommodate the large number of people wishing to attend Commencement, the following guidelines are proposed to ensure that access to Old Campus is efficient and equitable.
Tickets will be required to gain entry to Old Campus for Yale’s 322nd Commencement Ceremony on Monday, May 22, 2023.
- Each student graduating from Yale College will receive four (4) guest tickets.
- Each student receiving a degree from the Graduate School or one of the professional schools will receive two (2) guest tickets.
Please note, graduating degree candidates do not need tickets to attend Commencement. Graduating students, along with faculty and fellows, must wear academic regalia to participate.
Children aged 3 and under do not require tickets but must sit on the lap of a ticketed guest.
The sale of Commencement tickets is strictly prohibited. If the University becomes aware of tickets being sold or purchased, it may result in a student’s forfeiting of all guest tickets.
Information for Guests
- Gates to Old Campus will open at 8:00 a.m. All guests should be seated by 10:00 a.m. No standing will be allowed.
- Every guest must present a ticket to enter Old Campus.
- A ticket grants admission onto Old Campus but does not guarantee a specific seat. Seating is available on a first-come, first-served basis and cannot be reserved.
- Livestream viewing locations will be available in the residential colleges and at the Graduate and professional schools.
Guests who do not have tickets for Old Campus can watch the ceremony on screen as it takes place. The event will be livestreamed to locations across campus and available on the Yale YouTube Channel.